ecm fuse keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ecm fuse blew a few days ago so I replaced it. the truck drove great and then blew the ecm fuse again just the other day. what could cause this/where should I start looking for this problem? electrical is not my area of expertise...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That is likely a dead short somewhere.

ECM's typically don't draw enough power to pop the fuse. They get around needing to draw power to supply the subsystems by making it draw to ground. Consequently, it's power requirements are very low.

Check for trouble codes and if none, id say you have to start tracing wiring, looking for loose connection and chaffed insulation.......

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1990 model would still have a steel air cleaner spacer ring vs. the plastic one; if you're still running the spacer ring check for damaged insulation on the injector harness where it meets the spacer.

Richard

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok thanks fellas, ill start looking through my connections and wiring. another question...is it safe to drive my truck like this as long as I carry a few fuses with me for the time being? its my dd currently. could this cause any major issues that I should be worried about?

sslow

Reaction score
My fuse on my suburban was blowing... it ended up being a wire loom that runs in front of the alternator was sagging and melted on the manifold

I would replace fuse then if would blow again when it got hot

Found it repaired wire and ziptied it up and no more problems

So look near the front of passenger side exhaust manifold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk