Driver side window all of a sudden doesn't roll down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the weirdest thing. So I drove to work this morning and had my window part way down which I always do. I got to work and rolled the window up. When I leave work a few hours later the driver window doesn't budge but all the other Windows work fine. If I hold the driver window button down to trigger the auto roll down I can hear the switch clicking like a relay does but nothing happens.

Any ideas on what could take a window working fine to not working at all after sitting for a few hours. I have never had issues in the past. This is on a 96 K3500 by the way.

Thanks!

project 67 sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
window motor is probably the culprit, like mine was... twice. pull the door panel off, but leave/hook your switches back up. then take a hammer and tap on the back of the motor while holding the down button, and the window should roll down. then replace it

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah project 67 sub is right. Im having the same problem, my window only works when it wants to. I have taking panel off and hit motor with hammer and it will work fine for awhile after that. I never roll my windows down so im guessing mine start sticking from not being used.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try holding the button down while sitting in the truck and pull the door shut, saves you the trouble of taking the door panel off. Mine stick from not using them.

project 67 sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i always use mine (it gets hot here is SoCal in a truck with no ac and the windows rolled up. lol), and they still did that

Last edited:

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Had the same problem in mine and replaced the motor to find out it was the switch

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to subscribe to my own thread and didn't realize that people had replied.

So after I ran several errands later that day it still wasn't working. I get in to go to work the next morning and it rolls down just fine and has since. Maybe it was just cranky or something. Sometimes my truck gets grumpy and I guess I will add this to the list of strange items that break and then magically resolve themselves.

If it happens again I will definitely follow the advice you all gave. Thanks!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like a short in the motor.