Does the block really matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
So I'm starting to piece together an engine I'm building to replace my stock one.

Since all I'm looking to do is build a mild 350, does it really matter what block I use? Assuming of course it be a 1995 or earlier. I'll be using ported 193 TBI heads and a ported stock intake.

My stock block is the #638

Thanks

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. As long as it checks out at at the machine shop, and you aren't worried about one or two piece rear main seal, mechanical fuel pump provisions, or roller cam provisions then it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you can use any gen 1 block so anything up to 98 with some exceptions, theres large debates between 2 bolt and 4 bolt for a mild build 2 bolt will hold up fine, resarch the block you have, i higher nickel content is ideal as itll have less cylinder wear but with any engine youll want the block checked out throughly for cracks, rebored, main aligned and all that to do it properly, if the cam you pick is roller your looking for an 88(in most cases) and up block.

its good to get an idea of what parts youd like to use but i always get my block checked out before so i know if i have to order large bearings rings and pistons.

after thats all set and done pick your parts and have your rotating assembly balanced.

i would greatly urge against porting the stock heads and intake, yes ive done it and truthfully its really not worth it at all. you can shop around cragislist and ebay all day for a good carb-tbi or carb-vortec or just carb intake for dirt cheap.

as for heads a decent set of lightly touched 083's, vortecs(need to take to machine shop to check for cracks, which is why i personally dont like them) or something along those lines will do much better. you can get some lower end pep out of tbi heads but youll always run out of room at 4500rpm due to the design of the head.

Like saatr said, the older the block you have youll gain mechincal pump provisions thatll need to be blocked out if not used, youll lose roller cam readyness unless you buy an expensive retrofit kit, and youll also have a 2 piece rear main as oppsoed to a 1 piece, which theres as much debate about that as there is 2 bolt mains vs 4 bolt vs splayed mains etc etc etc.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Those fuel pump provisions are on the newer blocks too, you just have to run a cam with a fuel pump lobe on it and drill the hole for the fuel pump rod to ride in. They make a template to do this with a regular hand drill.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you start with a vortec, the rods are about 100x better than the earlier ones. I got some dirt track buddies that run those stock vortec rods 8500+ without problems. Just throw a steel crank in it and some high performance series bearings, a high volume oil pump and a 9 quart pan. They hold up really well. They do use ARP bolts in them of course...

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Good advice.

I forgot about the whole roller cam provisions thing. I'll keep an eye out for an 88-up block.

My plans are for a mild low rpm engine, great torque, 250ish hp, 4500-5000 rpm max. This is why I'll be sticking with mostly stock, opened up parts, and a decent cam.

Figure if I'm gonna put a fresh engine in the family hauler, might as well go through it a little.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Good advice.

I forgot about the whole roller cam provisions thing. I'll keep an eye out for an 88-up block.

My plans are for a mild low rpm engine, great torque, 250ish hp, 4500-5000 rpm max. This is why I'll be sticking with mostly stock, opened up parts, and a decent cam.

Figure if I'm gonna put a fresh engine in the family hauler, might as well go through it a little.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
how are the vortec rods any different? the ones that come out of my 97 block are still powdered rods and look the exact same to my 85, 88, 91, and 93 blocks.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rods should be the same. The pistons ands heads are different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk