DIN 1.5 AFTERMARKET STEREO INSTALL QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I want to replace the OEM DIN 1.5 Delco headunit (HU) in my '96 with another premium HU utilizing, and maximizing the same location. The options to completely fill the DIN 1.5 space are limited to either using something like a Metra adapter face for a DIN 1.0 HU, or finding a used DIN 1.5 HU. I know Alpine made a few in the past (Alpine CDA -D852, 853, 855, 857), but these are quite difficult to find now. My question is it possible to use a common DIN 1.0 HU and stack mount a DIN .5 unit like an equalizer on it, and then mount this combo together within the dash with no modifications done to the OEM dash bezel? Has anyone here ever done or had experience doing this? Thanks

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're super hard to find now but I love the look of them. JVC made a pretty nice one, I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything that wasn't a piece of . Let me know if you end up finding a source for these.

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
It may be possible, but you will have to shop around to find a combo that will fit the space. I don't know of any high end units being manufactured in 1.5 Din. I even checked some of the sellers in China, and they have also discontinued production, although there may be some back stock available if you look in that market more closely. I quick Amazon search revealed two radios in 1.5 din still in stock, one was a Jensen, the other a Pyle. I'm not a fan of either. Here they are in case you or one of the other readers want to take a look.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.amazon.com/Jensen-1-5--Dash-Player-CD615X/dp/B00005T3YA
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCDMR97-1-5-Din-Receiver-Marine/dp/B003A2PNMA

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and input guys. Yes, not of fan either of Jenson or Pyle either. I am fairly dead-set on finding one of these used Alpine units.. I have found a few scattered nationwide on CL posts in cities far from where I live. So far my contact attempts to have them ship them to me with the costs added to their asking prices, and paid with a USPS money order have proved unsuccessful for me. I have the Nigerian scammers to thank in part for this issue. In the past this has worked for me sometimes as I have done for others with my own items. BTW... Does anyone out there live near San Diego, CA? I even posted my own CL ad locally searching for one of these units. Also after an exhaustive search, to add to the known 1.5 DIN HU list are the following units... I haven't found the JVC model number(s) yet.

Pioneer DEH-P47DH
Pioneer DEH-P77DH
Sanyo ECD-H1340

Boomer MN

Reaction score
You can find the Jeep Grand Cherokee Nav units for around $500. There are postings on this subject somewhere on this site or others. They were made by Alpine. They are called a RB1

Boomer MN