Differential question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my little 10 bolt, I found the previous owner had used sealant only, and it was holding. Since I had already bought the gasket, I decided to use it, so I had to clean all the old sealant off. I used a very small amt of sealant as mentioned by Justin S, and it's been absolutely leak free. On the 10 bolt, the bolts are tightened star pattern, but only to about 15 or 18 pound feet.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Since the broken piece appears to be your adjuster, The play is probably greater than normal. I wouldn't drive on that because it could go from salvageable to dead pretty quickly. Also if it broke while driving it could suddenly lock up the rear.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Man,something looks very wrong with your diff.Here's a pic of mine when I swapped it out with a working G80.Notice the lack of a crack in the housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know something is wrong with it. But I don't know how it would lock up if the locking mechanism isn't broke. But I will definitely be replacing it with an Eaton Detriot Locker

Sent from my 454

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How can you tell the differential is locked?

Sent from my 454

grampadirt

Reaction score
Can't really,at least not visually.Check out these pics and you'll see the inards of the diff.I don't know exactly how it works but I'd bet the cam plate has something to do with it.The governor would tell it what to do and when.

grampadirt

Reaction score
At this point though it's all mute since you're going to be replacing it.Just thought you'd like to see what's inside.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather understand how things work than be blind and ignorant about it

Sent from my 454