Diesel with plow running hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
But it's safe to run with it out?

No, it isn't safe to run with the t-stat out.....diesels need to retain a higher temp in the heads to run correctly. He'll get a hell of a lot of carbon buildup very quickly running cold combustion chambers....carbon is bad for any engine, but especially bad for diesels.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Word and on a Diesel it carbon buildup can actually increase the compression ratio to an unsafe level.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The engine runs in "choke" mode under 170 degrees, and that's coolant temp in the block, not in the heads. Head coolant temp will be higher. They run best when head coolant temp is on the edge of boiling point, the temp gauge isn't the block temp, but the head temp. If it's not going over the 3/4 mark, then you aren't doing anymore damage than you would if you were driving it around on the 1/4 mark.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Choke mode on our detroit diesels with electronic fuel control in essence advances the injection of the fuel(hence the loud knock or clatter), and therefore increases egt's(exhaust gas temperatures).

Here's an offtopic tip, you can switch your calibration resistor in your fsd/pmd box to a #9 resistor. Every number you go up, it increases fuel delivery by 1%. I had a #5 in mine stock, switched to a #9(just 6% increase) and it actually made a noticeable difference in higher rpm hill climbs.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the number 9 resistor and relocated PMD on my 96 and with the downpipe back 4 in pipe, it would pull up a hill like a beast!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yep! They love steep hills in overdrive....just push the pedal about another inch and all of a sudden it feels like an Inspector Gadget jet engine ignited behind you....weeeeeeee!!!!! Never shifts outta overdrive unless you nearly floor it.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
hes running with the plow to high up. When the plows are on these trucks you have to drive with em low. We have had a plow on 3 gmt400s and they are all the same. The blade is blocking all the air

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a Mercedes along time ago that the inside and outside of the upper hose came apart internally. It wouldnt leak anti-freeze but when it heated up the water expanded inside the hoses and choked off the water flow, causing overheat.

Not saying thats what is wrong with yours, but it only takes a few minutes to inspect the main hoses.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can pull the radiator and clean it externally to as new condition as you best can. Any airflow you can get through it will be beneficial.