Diesel Tach Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Now i know a diesel forum would be the best place to post this... but

Has anyone installed, or know how to install a diesel tach?

what is the cheapest option for this? I want a cheap tach for my truck because it's a AT but i still want to be able to monitor RPM's at high speeds.

Anyone know something about diesel tachs?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I've seen that, it can't go off the injector lines that just runs fuel i wouldn't think. Most of them go off the alternator i was jw what people have used.

That tinytach doesn't have a back light, i've heard that other alternator diesel tachs are very jumpy.

I just want a tach that has accuracy. Mainly with my truck having a AT i just want to monitor RPM's at highway speeds and shifting points. I just want to make sure the optishift doesn't over-rev the 6.5 as the most they should push is probably around 2600-3100 rpm IMO.

Price wise the Tiny Tach is probably my best option but really i'd like to have one in the Pillar i'm going to buy. I plan to have a Boost Gauge at the top, fuel pressure in the middle and a tach at the bottom.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
And my truck doesn't have one because it was a Cheyenne. Key word WAS.

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finding a cluster in a pull-a-part would probably be the cheapest option. I believe I have a spare diesel cluster with tach.

Like previously mentioned, the tach runs off the alternator (I have a spare one of those too.) Not sure if all the alts. are the same or not.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Well the problem with the stock cluster is that the plug wouldn't have the tach socket and we wouldn't have the tach wiring. The alternators are the same but the harness is different. Since my 94 Harness doesnt have a tach, it wouldn't work like it should. I'd have to wire one up.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Well actually dark rider it does say to mount it on the injector line.. how the heck does that work?

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 6.5 is a Cheyenne and its Loaded to the T's lol. Minus leather. Its also got the Tach thankfully as I've actually revved it up to 4K a couple times on the highway by accelerating with the cruise. Woops lol

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah... I want to have Boost, Tach and Fuel Pressure.. Preferably all in the pillar. I might just run the Tiny-Tach given it's simplicity.

Basically as of right now the truck has no speedometer.

I need to find the speedometer wire, then add a tach, fuel pressure gauge, and boost gauge but i've never done gauges..

cviola2005

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is simple way to have a stock tach added in. Alternator plug from spare harness and the pin and wire from a spare dash harness. But anyway...

The tinytach works by detecting the fuel pressure pulses and derives an RPM based on that.