Diesel Swap Help!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody_350

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay so I have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 and it has the 5.7 350 in it. I have almost 174,000 miles on the engine and it still runs strong but I hate getting 10-11 mpg all the time. I use it as a work truck so it's loaded most of the time so I thought about throwing a diesel in it because diesels are awesome and get better gas mileage then a gas in any condition. and I like the fact I can black smoke with it. what diesel should I put in it? how much will it cost? how long will it take? I'm mechanically inclined and my father has over 20+ years experience on vehicles, not too much diesel though. what do I need to know about Diesel engines? would I be better off dropping a Detroit 6.5L in it or a cummins engine? what size cummins engine? just give me every single thing that can be helpful in learning what I should do! thanks

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What diesel? Cummins 5.9 12v. The 6.5 is crap. What basis do I have for my opinion? An 81k and a 104k that I personally have owned that both have had bad exhaust valves. The 104k one has lead a questionable life but the bottom end is shot as well.

miyno

Reaction score
I did the 12v cummins swap into my 1995 K1500 that had a 6.5L. It is a lot of work, but if you have the time, patience and imagination then it really isnt as bad as one would think.
Research is the big thing, i did a 94 12v, with the dodge NV4500 5 speed, and the dodge transfer case. The rest is gmc. If you would like a quick run down of what i had to do just let me know and i can do a write up on it.