Delphi 5.7 Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Blueprint Engines 383 for my 97. I got a Delphi new distributor figuring they were a supplier of good GM parts. In everything I've seen the is a dimple in the distributor gear(present) and a paint blotch to line it up. there is no slot or paint blotch on the fully composite distributor! It also is a "Product of China".

Also the gear does not look like it has any special coating to be compatible with the HR cam.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'97 is Vortec.

Dimple on the gear goes in-line with the conductor on the rotor. Some folks turn the gear half-way around because it lines-up the distributor better and gets rid of the P1345 code. Never tried that myself.

There should be an "8" and a "6" molded-into the distributor body as seen from the rotor end. Service manual has procedure for using the numbers and the rotor position for distributor alignment.

So far as I know, the Melonite coating on the distributor gear is not something you'd "see".

I learned a couple of decades ago that "Genuine GM" parts aren't necessarily the same as what the car was built with. In my case, I was replacing an original, Made-in-Canada driver's outside mirror on a Lumina. The new-in-the-box GM replacement was Made-in-Communist China, and the black "paint" faded to shiity grey in six months. The original passenger mirror looked better than the six-month-old Driver's side replacement.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My instincts say put the balancer at TDC #1 firing and put rotor pointing to #1 on the cap!

Yep Vortec and the 383 is Vortec replacement with aluminum heads and click bigger cam.

Shurkey on the Pontiac board?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instincts say put the balancer at TDC #1 firing and put rotor pointing to #1 on the cap!

Yep Vortec and the 383 is Vortec replacement with aluminum heads and click bigger cam.

I was referring to using a Made in China distributor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Download the free service manual for your vehicle from the links on this web site.
GM wants you to use the "8" reference mark and another mark on the distributor body for alignment.

Yep.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Delphi is supposed to be one of the better brands though, but being Made in China is a concern.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled up a couple of threads the other day about an aluminum one that was a good brand but can't find those again in a search. Maybe a United?