Defrost door not working- ways to access?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen_B

Reaction score
Figured out that the reason air was constantly blowing out of the defrost is a busted defrost door. Linkage and actuator motor fine but the door has come lose in the air box. I can wiggle the end of the actuator arm and hear the door flopping around in the air box.

Can the door be accessed to repair it from the bottom or do I have to disassemble the entire dash to reach from the top?

Thanks...

Allen

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm also interested in learning some more about this, my red truck just started doing the same thing. I haven't ruled out actuators yet but they seem to be working. Whenever I shut the defrost vents off on the dial the airflow diminishes significantly but there's still always some there. Noticed my windshield fogging up a lot more recently as well. Where are the actuators and motor located and how do I go about ruling them out as the culprits? (Or would my symptoms rule them out already?)

What year is your truck, Allen? It'll help everyone help you to know which style dash you have. Mine is a '97 with the newer style.

Allen_B

Reaction score
Sorry... Mine is a '98 Tahoe.

I am in Maryland and from what you are describing I would have to guess the rubber gaskets around the door are gone allowing air to blow by....

/r

Allen

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One would think, but my symptoms set in pretty much overnight. Also I found a broken piece of plastic on my floorboard immediately afterward. Not to mention the truck in question has been garaged since it was brand new, all the rubber is actually in great shape.