Dash Swap question regarding instrument cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dash is cracked in a few places on my '94. Not long ago I found a mint dash from a '91 at the PNP, so I pulled it and bought it.

I know it will bolt in, but what does it take to modify the part where the instrument cluster plugs in at. The older dash had pins, my '94 just has contacts.

Thanks.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible to cut out the back section of the dash on both of them and swap them around and epoxy it in place?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I think all you need to do is cut a slot in the back of the dash behind the cluster to make the wires fit... other then that, straight swap

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to pull my instrument cluster and test fit it in my new dash, but, if memory serves me, the connectors are in slightly different locations.

I'll get some pics up this weekend if I can get to it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
They are different... and located abit different too. Which is why you need to cut a slot to allow it to go in.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 88-91 dash is flat in that area, where the 92-94 have a raised spot for the connector. Since 92-94 the cluster just pushes onto the contacts, a good connection here is critical.

If it were mine, I'd use some of the slots and other features that you'll find in that area as reference points and carefully cut the whole section out, then use it as a template to cut the other one out to match - then use DevCon "Plastic Welder" glue to install the correct piece, or use scrap plastic and drill some holes to make patches and pop rivet it together.

Richard

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
If it were mine, I'd use some of the slots and other features that you'll find in that area as reference points and carefully cut the whole section out, then use it as a template to cut the other one out to match - then use DevCon "Plastic Welder" glue to install the correct piece, or use scrap plastic and drill some holes to make patches and pop rivet it together.

Richard

That is a good idea. Im pretty sure my '90 moonie cluster has a push in cluster too ....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All 88-91 clusters including the 91 needle cluster, have an actual socket/pin arrangement that can stay connected independent of any other means of support. The 92-94 cluster just has those silly "fingers" on the flexi-circuit board, that press against pins on the connector. If the connector isn't in the exact right place for the cluster to push against, may not make good contact.

Richard

jmend100

Reaction score
I used a 1992 dash, I just had to make the hole bigger and pulled the speedo wires a little bit to plug them in.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used a 1992 dash, I just had to make the hole bigger and pulled the speedo wires a little bit to plug them in.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk
88-91 is one style of dash, 92-94 is the other. They look exactly the same externally. Only difference is where the cluster socket is.

Since you didn't say what year you own, from your statement I'll assume you are using a 92 dash on an 88-91. Much simpler problem to solve than using an 88-91 dash on a 92-94. Which isn't to say it's always a problem; some people have done it and just plugged the cluster and never had issues...but personally it would bug me knowing there's not much holding that plug in place. I would want to graft the "pedestal" in from the other dash as I described earlier.

Richard