crew cab build help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinason

Reaction score
I am looking for a place where I can get a detailed schematic for a 92-2000 crew cab frame mount layout. We are starting to work on the frame for my crew cab shorty but the cab itself is 4 hours away still at the auto wreckers and i wont be able to get it for a while. It would be easier with cab on hand but I dont have that luxury. I want to cnc a plate and add all the nessecary drops and height changes to get the cab mounts correct. Any info to who would have this would be much appreciated.
Thanks

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
so you have no frame or you are fabricating a completely new one?, you can use a long bed frame and move the rear spring hangers and braces and then cut i think it was 15" off the rear, the problem is if you are not lifting the truck then you need to make front spring hangers to compensate for the move down the bend in the frame, a 4x4 getting lifted by doing a swap like this without a custom front hanger along with a shackle flip gives you 8" lift due to the drop in the frame on a longbox.

i have a 98 crew dually i can take some measurements from

Tinason

Reaction score
I have a 96 diesel extended shorty 1500 that im going to add the roughly 13 " under the cab and add my crew cab. I just want to get some exact numbers before I start cutting, or wait until I pick up the cab...but could be a while.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have a 96 diesel extended shorty 1500 that im going to add the roughly 13 " under the cab and add my crew cab. I just want to get some exact numbers before I start cutting, or wait until I pick up the cab...but could be a while.

ahhh ok, so what you really need is the bolt distance as that rear cab mount needs to stay as the rear mount for the crew cab, a long box frame would be different in that rear mound due to the bend up in the frame is behind the cab vs the short box frame having it under the cab, so anyone with a long box could not give you rear mount dimensions as it a different bracket.

you need dimensions and placement for the center bracket.

the center cab mount is the same bracket as the front one, once it stops storming i'll get you a measurement.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok man I have done 5 of that same swap from ext cab to crew cab. First off which you already know, you need to add 13 inches in between the center and rear cab mount's, you will start with 24 inches center to center on the ext. cab and you need 37 center to center on the crew cab, when that is done all of the cab mount's are in the correct location, the only difference is that the crew cab's center mount's are a 1/2 inch further out toward's the outside of the truck on each side than the ext. cab ones are so the only mod to be done is you either need to elongate the center mount's or extend the mount's outward 1/2 an inch, I have done both and either way work's well. If I can help you with this in anyway please let me know.

Tinason

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Ok things have changed. Dont know for good or bad. I came across a 1 tonne crew long box single axle 4x4 for 600$....400$ dollars less than I was going to pay for just the cab from the wrecker...and it was delivered to my door! So do I still stretch the frame from the diesel 1500, or do I move the rear axle up on the 1 tonne truck to fit a shortbox and switch the 1 tonne suspension and diffs to the 1500 suspension?
Im adding the pics of my 3 doner trucks (which in a funny coincidence are all white) and my daily driver a 97 chevy 2500 extended long box 4x4 with a 6.5 diesel.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would personally keep the one ton and shorten the frame and put the shortbed on it!

Tinason

Reaction score
Ya I have been looking at that option, but if I move the leaf springs forward to what I need it looks to run into the front mount of the box. I was thinking of using the rear cab mount of the shortbox truck because it has the front mount of the bed combined with the rear mount of cab. If anyone has done it this way could you please offer some insight to what they ended up doing.
Secondly, it looks like my 1500 suspension will bolt up to the 1 tonne frame. Is there anything I am overlooking that would be a problem? I really dont want a stiff ride for my daily driver...the 2500 is bad enough lol.
Thank-you all!

tims4x4

Reaction score
new to this form and glad to find it been trying to find out how to convert a ext. cab to crew cab for a long time found this site this weekend got some questions any help would be great i have a 1994 ext. 4x4 and have bought a 99 crew cab but has no interior and one rear door will a surburban back doors work and will the dash from the 94 work and will a bench seat from a standard cab work for a back seat and what kind of drive shaft do i need to find thanks

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
The suburban rear doors will work on a crew cab, also the dash should work, as far as the other stuff im not sure but draggin should be able to tell you