Cordless Drills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been using the same Black & Decker cordless 12v drill for the past 8-9 years, and the battery is finally dying on it. I'm looking to replace it, and definitely looking for an upgrade. The B&D did fine for me all those years, but that was mainly apartment living and never working on my own stuff. All that has changed now that I have a house and a garage. I've already done more work to my vehicles in the past 6 months that the previous 32 years of my life.

Anyway, suggestions? I'm open to anything. I don't need anything "commercial grade," but would like something that holds up. What are you guys using?

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Dewalt lithium Ion set. The drill and little impact. That little impact has some torque to it too. Plus it doesn't hurt that it only takes like 15-25 minutes to fully recharge the Lithiums...

If you go with commercial grade, I highly doubt you'll wear the drill out... Just food for thought.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i use dewalt,never had a prob, with em
now if u could still get em which u cant ,,ive got a makita thats been hangin on for god knows how long
it a beast lol

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work in the office for an electrical contractor, so I could get a discount on the commercial grade stuff, I just don't think I'd need something that hard-core. I was looking at a 19.2v Craftsman with the lithium battery, but I know Dewalt makes a damn good product too.

+1 on the Makita stuff. Our warehouse guy has some Makita tools back there, and he loves them.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i use ryobi. i know it sounds cheap but that stuff is tough. i ran the drill over with my truck a couple of times and it still works like the day i got it. honestly it has been a while since i looked at cordless tools but the interchangeable battery is cool, i think that's a standard now though for all tools. i know they have an impact that is pretty powerful and i think they have a lithium battery upgrade to

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
impact has more power and torque, more like a hammer drill if that's easier to understand the difference

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dewalt lithium Ion set. The drill and little impact. That little impact has some torque to it too. Plus it doesn't hurt that it only takes like 15-25 minutes to fully recharge the Lithiums...

If you go with commercial grade, I highly doubt you'll wear the drill out... Just food for thought.

+1 word for word, I have the same set, its an 18V Li-Ion, does very well, and that little impact has come in very handy since I've purchased a home (the set with them combiled is only a little more than buying just the drill, its like you're getting the impact driver for like $30 or $40, at least it was when I got it, well worth it).

Plus, Li-ion batterys will put out full power pretty much until they are discharged, so they'll keep working at full or near full capacity until they're completely discharged and ready to be put on the charger, they don't get progressively slower and weaker like the Ni-Cd batteries do.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plus, Li-ion batterys will put out full power pretty much until they are discharged, so they'll keep working at full or near full capacity until they're completely discharged and ready to be put on the charger, they don't get progressively slower and weaker like the Ni-Cd batteries do.

I did not know this. Thanks for the info. The impact driver also sounds like a good tool to have on hand. I'll look this weekend (my birthday gift to myself) and see what I find. Thanks guys.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
The price may seem initially steep, but after the first few uses, you more than likely won't complain. Its that sweet. And it makes running lag bolts go in like butta...