Coolant sensor and coolant gauge help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possible that our trucks are different or that someone put the wrong type of sensor there? Like I said since i have owned the truck i never remember the coolant gauge working proper.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm by no means a mechanic so if I'm wrong hopefully somebody will correct me. From what I understand the temp sensor goes into the head and the knock sensor into the block. Again I'm a body man not a mechanic so I can't promise that info is accurate.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that totally makes sense. Im just now concerned that my knock sensor isnt connected and i have no idea where my coolant temp sender is for my gauges.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see pictures of another vehicle as well to see if i can figure anything out from it. At this point im more lost than when i started haha.

I agree. My truck is a 92 5.7 5spd. Mine could be all wrong or the two could be different. I still haven't started mine since I got the motor back from the machine shop. I think everything is right with mine. I work with a guy that has been a bodyman/mechanic for 30ish years and he has helped me quite a bit.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEA THAT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, i never would found it. slry, it was hidden behind the engine and i wasnt looking for that color plug or wire.

That's awesome. So glad I could help.

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my coolant plug was really tight to a big wire loom and twisted behind it. I have a 1999 c2500 gmc.

I don't think there is and difference in the harnesses as far as sensors go. I think the only differences are 2/4wd and auto or manual also fuel injection/smog. In my mind our engines should be pretty close to the same as far as temp/knock sensor location.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I don't feel as bad now. That sensor is definitely my coolant temp sensor LOCATION. Now I am unsure as to if that is the correct sensor in there, but that is the same location as yours. It looks lower than it is but it is just barely underneath the header. I have the same knock sensor and location as you so now my question is the original one. Does anyone that doesn't have a wonderfully redone wiring harness able to snap pictures possibly all the way to the firewall for me? If i can find where it comes in I can just put a generic coolant sensor in and wire it into the harness.

Jmiller thanks so much for all of your help!!

JMiller

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I don't feel as bad now. That sensor is definitely my coolant temp sensor LOCATION. Now I am unsure as to if that is the correct sensor in there, but that is the same location as yours. It looks lower than it is but it is just barely underneath the header. I have the same knock sensor and location as you so now my question is the original one. Does anyone that doesn't have a wonderfully redone wiring harness able to snap pictures possibly all the way to the firewall for me? If i can find where it comes in I can just put a generic coolant sensor in and wire it into the harness.

Jmiller thanks so much for all of your help!!

Glad I could help. Sorry I couldn't help more. If you run into anymore snags hit me up.