Coolant sensor and coolant gauge help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i had a faulty coolant gauge cause it would just float all over the place and never worked since I bought the truck. I replace the gauge hoping it would fix some problems but it just opened another bag of worms. I believe my coolant temp sending unit is worn out and needs replaced, but I am not sure if i am checking the proper sensor. I have attached two pictures of the sensor i believe it is, based on a lot of online research I have seen that the sensor can be in 2 different places but think i have it nailed down. Is this the proper sensor? I ordered one but the plug isn't correct so I am hoping i can run to the parts store and find a proper one and it will solve my issues.

Thanks!

The thermostat is also frozen, but that shouldn't effect my temp gauge should it?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are indeed two coolant temperature sensors. The one you have pictured in the intake next to the thermostat housing is the sensor for the ECM. The second sensor in the driver side cylinder head is for the gauge.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
crap. ok so my next question is where do the wires for that sensor come from... i have no wires going to that one and dont see any loose ends anywhere... if anyone can trace from the head back to the closest wire bundle for me i would really appreciate a couple pictures!

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i found the sensor and a scary amount of loose wiring around the engine bay... anyone have a wire color and or able to trace it back to where the wire comes from... a few of the wires are from when i tried to have a craigslist superstar wire in a remote start and alarm and just need to be ripped out and cleaned up cause it only lasted about 3 months. a wire color or a couple of pictures would be awesome. I think that the connector that was once on there is gone hoping i can figure something out there as well

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cant seem to find any single black wire hanging around that looks like it might be it. I am almost to the point where i will pay someone to go out on a 1994 and earlier 5.7 tbi and trace it back to the largest wire bundle with pictures so i can get this thing figured out.

Thanks for any help.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YOU DA MAN. Any pictures or tracing the wire back up would be awesome. I read through wiring diagrams and it states its a dark green wire but i cant seem to find any dark green stragglers around.

black90sport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haynes states it should be dark green (could be seen as black as mentioned above) I cant even find the wire that originally went to the unit so i need it traced back to the wiring harness myself.