Coolant Leak. Need help locating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh yea. Vortec 350s are bad about it. When GM went to Vortec, and changed the way the intake bolts to the head, it made this worse.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.... Yes the small blocks have a huge problem with intake gasket leaks, but I've always heard about the leaks being internal, not external.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.... Yes the small blocks have a huge problem with intake gasket leaks, but I've always heard about the leaks being internal, not external.
They can do either, mine was external and I was lucky it never got in the oil. Started a little drip or two that I could see on the floor up to the front by hose/water pump... Then a little started seeping out the back running down by trans and starter.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No I got you. Its common for it to go ether way. internal, or external ether way. IMO when GM turned the intake to head bolts from parallel with the head to a straight vertical, they lost some clamping power, but hey, what do I know.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I had a similar situation and it was the weep hole on the water pump. Didn't know what it was until it starting leaking enough and I could actually trace it. It would collect in the plastic protector on the bottom hose and I always thought it was the hose itself; but then I could see the trail coming all the way from the water pump. Replaced it and had no further problems.

Make sure you buy a quality one or one with a good warranty. The aftermarket one I bought ended up crapping out just a couple years after I installed it and i had to get another one.

Factory one made it ~21 years. Aftermarket one ~3 years. :pp:

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for the info, I'm going to check the weep hole on the water pump.

I know of the possibility of it being an intake gasket but I doubt it because I just replaced them with Felpro ones a couple months ago and made sure to fill the spots where the intake meets the heads and block.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for the info, I'm going to check the weep hole on the water pump.

I know of the possibility of it being an intake gasket but I doubt it because I just replaced them with Felpro ones a couple months ago and made sure to fill the spots where the intake meets the heads and block.
Yea, Fel Pro is the way to go all rite. And if you used RTV to seal the rubber gaskets on the block, in the corners for sure, then you should be good. I did mine several years ago, and have not had any issue since.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fel-Pro MS98000T will absolutely end the Vortec leaking intake gasket problem. No plastic in them to break down and let the rubber seal move.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was leaking out the front,but hard to see with accessory bracket in place...

You must be registered for see images