Coolant leak, cant find source.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawana

Reaction score
Edit: (forgot to mention what truck I have) Its a 94 chev 2500 5.7L 2wd auto

Im getting a constant coolant leak that seems to drip down near the back of the engine/transmission on the passenger side.Anyone know whats near there that could be the source?
Ill attach a crappy picture of where its dripping incase it helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the back of the motor is a coolant hose fitting that is a known failure point. Farther back than the EGR if I remember correctly. That is on the passenger side so may be where the leak originates. There is a quick connect that corrodes and starts leaking. The hose goes to the heater core. Look around that neighborhood.

Last edited:

Kawana

Reaction score
On the back of the motor is a coolant hose fitting that is a known failure point. Farther back than the EGR if I remember correctly. That is on the passenger side so may be where the leak originates. There is a quick connect that corrodes and starts leaking. The hose goes to the heater core. Look around that neighborhood.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Kawana

Reaction score

I dont suppose youd know what that part would be called? Im going to have to buy one before i pull the old one ao im not stranded.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ask for the heater hose fitting on the intake.. be prepared for it to break when you try to remove it... Lisle makes a tool that will help you remove it if it breaks....

sent from what use to be a great country...

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When mine broke I used a hack saw blade and cut four slots till I got to threads. Must be patient and careful. Then took a punch and knocked the pieces in to break them free. Got three pieces out one is floating around in there somewhere. I then tapped the thread and installed new fittings. That was a year and a half ago with no problems. I am not a fan of quick connects on any thing as they always seem to fail or crumble when you need to service them. Snap together manufacturing.
Before surgery

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to keep the QD type fitting use a steel one instead of the cast type. They are available at virtually all parts stores. I used a fitting that screwed in with a hose barb on the end, slipped the hose on and clamped it.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to keep the QD type fitting use a steel one instead of the cast type. They are available at virtually all parts stores. I used a fitting that screwed in with a hose barb on the end, slipped the hose on and clamped it.
This is the only way to go. It's just a brass male adapter. I believe 3/4" thread to 5/8" barb.