Antifreeze Leak????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
$500 later and she's back in business. $40 manifold gasket and lots of labor :p. No, they did replace the other gaskets that had to be replaced in the manifold removal also . . . along with a temperature sensor. The owner of the shop, son, daughter, and son-in-law are very reputable and I've known them a while. It's a family business and I trust them fully over a dealership any day!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
$500 later and she's back in business. $40 manifold gasket and lots of labor :p. No, they did replace the other gaskets that had to be replaced in the manifold removal also . . . along with a temperature sensor. The owner of the shop, son, daughter, and son-in-law are very reputable and I've known them a while. It's a family business and I trust them fully over a dealership any day!
Sounds about right. We used to call it a $300 job but many years have passed since; parts have become more expensive and so has cost of living so labor prices have gone up as well. As long as they did a quality job, set the distributor correctly, sealed everything properly, then I'd say $500 sounds about right for paying someone else to do it.

Richard

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Sounds about right. We used to call it a $300 job but many years have passed since; parts have become more expensive and so has cost of living so labor prices have gone up as well. As long as they did a quality job, set the distributor correctly, sealed everything properly, then I'd say $500 sounds about right for paying someone else to do it.

Richard
I thought it was fair was well. In addition to, of course, replacing all the coolant they went ahead and did an oil change as well. *Just in case there was an internal coolant leak. Truck runs perfectly. I probably would have screwed up the distributor putting it back on if I tried to do it and would have taken twice the time to fix it.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
When I broke down in Lawrence, KS in 2010 while towing my race car, the next morning I hit up all the shops and paid $700 to have it done that day.
Ouch! :oops: The shop did have to keep my truck for two days because no auto parts store in town had the right temp sensor. They had to order the right one. That makes my cost well over a decade later look like a bargain!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ouch! :oops: The shop did have to keep my truck for two days because no auto parts store in town had the right temp sensor. They had to order the right one. That makes my cost well over a decade later look like a bargain!
Yeah.. $700 sounds like the "guy needs it today" price, which again, isn't exactly terrible. Someone's situation demands they get pushed to the front of the line and a job handled same day that might take a couple days or longer to get to otherwise, you figure you'll get charged a bit of a premium. Other customers get bumped, guys get asked to stay late, things like that.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say, except that if I could get $500 to change a TBI intake gasket, I'd start taking on customers.

I guess in Bidenomics, that's an OK deal. Seems excessive to me, but what do I know?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep Vortec, which isn't an entirely different job other than the need to correctly set the distributor which requires someone have the appropriate scan tool and desire to do a good job. ;) And again, the "gotta have it today" price is a factor.

Richard