Convert 5 speed manual to 6 speed manual any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stm1988

Reaction score
Hello I am new here, I have a 1988 C1500 TBI .030 350 small cam worked heads 5 speed manual trans. I have been considering changing my 5 speed truck to a 6 speed manual. I have heard that it would be a huge headache and cost a fortune. Any suggestions or thoughts on this project? would it be worth it?

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
How long do you intend to own this truck? What are your plans besides the trans swap? Don't know if the fuel savings would be worth the swap.

stm1988

Reaction score
I usually don't keep vehicles very long but I am pretty deep in this one now and will probably keep it for a while. I an currently looking for another truck to drive every day so I can get going on this one. I am planning on changing the engine to a 383 with Holley or some other fuel injection kit and changing the gears in the rear to 410 or higher. I would like to make it a street or strip truck and show. It needs paint and some minor body work but like I said I am pretty deep in it now.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
What would be the purpose of a 6 speed? Most of them are not double overdrive...

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Look for the t56 gmt400 write up thread. The fbody t56 from 93-97 firebird/camero is the simpliest swap... the trannys will both bolt up, their both thr same lenght too. Hardest part is to relocate the shifter if you want to move to the stock location. Other wise itll be under the seat/console. A bit of wiring mods aswell. But its not bad considering. More of a performance tranny...

stm1988

Reaction score
they are more performance than the original 5 speeds and its cool to say that your truck in 6 speed lol

stm1988

Reaction score
Look for the t56 gmt400 write up thread. The fbody t56 from 93-97 firebird/camero is the simpliest swap... the trannys will both bolt up, their both thr same lenght too. Hardest part is to relocate the shifter if you want to move to the stock location. Other wise itll be under the seat/console. A bit of wiring mods aswell. But its not bad considering. More of a performance tranny...

Thanks for the info that sounds like the way to go. I am not 100% on what I am going to do yet. Have a ton of ideas and most of them contradict the other lol.