color matching 98 chevy grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pewterz71

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about color matching my pewter colored chevys grille lately and have been looking at trucks with it done and it looks pretty good in my opinion. has anybody done this and does anyone know the best way to prep the grille so the paint won't peel off and how to spray it? I know they sell color match paint in the rattle cans but can you get the matching code anywhere else for a good price?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I use imatchpaint.com for color matching paint. Their paint is a little pricey, but they use DuPont paint and their stuff is top notch and well worth it. They custom mix per order, so it's not just pre-made stuff sitting on a shelf. Prep is the key to any paint job. Sand, sand and sand some more, especially if your grill is chrome plated. Also I use self etching primer. I color matched the grill on my Dakota many years ago with rattle can paint. Came out pretty good.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good any opinions on a truck thats satin black with bumpers grille and mirrors ptm?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my opinion here, but I think if you want to go the color-matched route, it makes more sense to switch to a GMC grill. They just lend thenmselves to color matching in a way that the Chevy grills do not.

However, it is YOUR truck, and everybody is different. Go for what you like!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Funny story, the red truck was a Yukon with a Chevy grille, that I then plastidipped since it was a POS grille anyway lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pewterz71

Reaction score
alright thanks for the input guys! and what gets the chrome off the best on those grilles? and what grit should i finish with?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
alright thanks for the input guys! and what gets the chrome off the best on those grilles? and what grit should i finish with?

If you're going to actually primer/paint it. I would strip it with 80, then work up to 320 before primer.