Cold weather - Overheating, with no heat from vents??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
As the title says, it's 0* outside today and the truck was fine yesterday. Truck is definitely overheating but I still have antifreeze and water. No leaks that I could see and nothing is busted.

It's either thermostat or water pump? Just trying to get some other opinions.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Check to see if the hoses from the water pump are soft while it is running. If the top one feels like there is no pressure than its probably the thermostat. If its the lower hose than its probably the water pump.

Sent from Robl@nd!

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
It also take 10 min to pull the thermostat and drop it in some boiling water to see if it opens.

Sent from Robl@nd!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Could be a few things... how strong is the antifreeze? It could be gelled up if it's too strong. Shaft could be broken in the water pump or the impeller spinning on the shaft. Thermostat could be stuck, but you should still have heat with a stuck thermostat.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Plugged heater core &/or hoses? Those are the smallest passageways in the heating/cooling system that are easily accessible, & relatively simple to fix. But if those have issues, you can bet that the block & the rad are becoming restricted, too. Maybe time for a cooling system back-flush. I'd be checking that, along with the other things previously mentioned.

Kglazier

Reaction score
If you pull your rad cap off with the engine running watch your coolant and see how good it is flowing I had one that I replaced everything trying to figure it out and it ended up being that the rad had gummed up enouph that it would overheat but it was still flowing some just not enouph too keep it cool

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Well guys thanks! Drove the truck again and it started doing the same exact thing. Tried the quickest and cheapest fix first, so I Picked up a new thermostat and a couple gallons of AntiFreeze. Did a good flush of the system and popped in the new stat, started it up and it heated up really quick (I think it just took a bit and it thawed stuff up and flushed it all out.) Started blowing hot air and idling right where I like it to be, if not just a wee bit cooler now.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Well guys thanks! Drove the truck again and it started doing the same exact thing. Tried the quickest and cheapest fix first, so I Picked up a new thermostat and a couple gallons of AntiFreeze. Did a good flush of the system and popped in the new stat, started it up and it heated up really quick (I think it just took a bit and it thawed stuff up and flushed it all out.) Started blowing hot air and idling right where I like it to be, if not just a wee bit cooler now.

:High 5:

Sent from Robl@nd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiej80