Clip wrapped around leaf spring is missing nuts but I cant find any info on them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is on a 96 3500. So I have this stupid metal on metal rattle whenever I hit any bumps and I traced it down to these brackets or clips that wrap around the leaf pack on the passenger side. I have never seen ones like this before. They are a U shape of flat stock with a bolt connecting the tops of the U forming a square. There is a rubber piece that is between the sides of the leaf springs and this bracket. They are loose and rattling all around because the nut on the outside part of the bracket bolt on the front and rear bracket have come off and the threads seem to be stripped. On the driver side the distance between the tops of the U is less which makes me think that these things are supposed to kind of pinch the leaf pack since this driver ones dont budge at all. When looking for this part to even see what it was called I could not find any diagrams that show that style of thing that wraps around the leaf pack. All of them show the style that I have ever seen which is like the one below from rockauto. I just dont know if these are even the right part or not.

You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I just wrapped a large hose clamp around the spring and that metal bracket to stop it rattling.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so yours had the U with the bolt on the top too or is it like the one in the picture and it was rattling? Its freakin annoying!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I don't remember, but it sounded like you were dragging a piece of chain down the road it rattled so bad.

nitro

Reaction score
Those clamps are there to keep the middle leaves from walking side to side. Is there a bolt that goes across the top of the spring, parallel to the axle, that holds the clamp? However you fix it, it is probably the least important part of the spring so don't worry too much about it. The spring pack itself is held together by a bolt through the center over the axle.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I figured. That bolt does run parallel to the axle. I'm going to knock the two bolts out and put new ones in and tighten them up