Clear Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

graystone

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new set of clear headlights. I currently have a set of crystal clear headlights on my Tahoe that I got from LMC a couple years ago. I don't even drive the Tahoe that much, and they are already turning yellow. I have Silverstar bulbs in them, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Either way, I am looking to replace them. I have read that the TYC Elegantes are good quality, but I can't find anybody that carries them. Anybody know where to get Eleganates, or have good experiences with any other brands?
Below is a pic of my current headlights.

attachment.php

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If they aren't pitted, you could simply polish them up, and save your dough. Even if they were pitted, you could wetsand them and then polish them up.

graystone

Reaction score
I've been meaning to polish them to see if I can get them looking better, but just haven't had the time. I think the actual plastic of the lenses are turning yellow and I am not sure whether polishing the surface of the lenses will make a difference or not. I'm hoping to replace them with a better quality light if there are any available.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It will be just the surface layer of the plastic turning yellow, I have polished many sets over the years.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Spraying them with clear coat after wetsanding will keep them from turning yellow again

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I have used 3M Perfect it products for years, the same compounds I use for polishing paints. You can do it by hand, or if you cut the alignment pins off / grind them down, you can do it with a buffer, but you have to watch the temperature of the plastic. If you get it too hot, you will run into trouble.

If they are bad, you can sand them down with P400 on an orbital then switch to wetsanding with p600 grit and then hit them with at least one coat of automotive 2K clear. Spray cans have less yield per coat, so you would want to use a few coats if you are doing it with a rattle can.

Yes, it will work quite fine on oem headlights.

Mrmramerican

Reaction score
Some 2k clears... If mixed too hot can cause the plastic to flash, looks like cloudy tree branches where the plastic crystalized as the paint cures