Chevy Cummins wiring help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevestoffer

Reaction score
I have a 1994 K3500 that had a 6.5 in it and now it has a Cummins. I was wiring my truck up the other day, this is my first project by the way, and I got the Cummins to crank with the key. I have the fuel shutoff wired how it's supposed to be also. But when I did this swap I took out all of the wiring. I took the headlight harness out, engine harness and computer (sold that with the 6.5L), and the one behind the dash.

I figured out which wires were the 12v in, run, and start. I cut them after the fuse box but before the place where you plug in those wiring harnesses. I have the 12v in going to the battery, the start wire to the starter, and it will crank with that. I'm going to put it on a relay though. Then I have my fuel shutoff solenoid wired to a relay. I have the 12V going to 30, "pull" wire to 87, 86 ground, and 85 goes to the starter.

That's all I have wired up, I have my dash back in and everything plugged in besides the computer because I no longer have that. Now after I did this wiring I have no power to anything else in the truck. The lights don't come on when the doors open, no hvac, no radio, etc.. What did I do wrong here? Is there something else I need to hook up?

Sorry if it's stupid, I'm 16 and this is my first swap and the whole wiring part really really confuses me lol. Thanks guys!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You took out the wiring harness... I'm sorry :hidesbehindsofa: Everything have a ground?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably would have modified the harness to work with the cummins. Kind of how I did it when I went all carb and no computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevestoffer

Reaction score
You took out the wiring harness... I'm sorry :hidesbehindsofa: Everything have a ground?

Well I didn't take out the engine wiring harness. I bought the truck without the 6.5 and wiring harness in it. Is there a ground on the fuse box somewhere to check or what? And easy! It's my first swap!! Haha.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
any pictures? preferably of the engine bay with a cummins in it :)

stevestoffer

Reaction score
Yes I'll post some in a sec. I think it's a bad ground. I wired in a cb radio to the fuse box and it worked when I turned the key!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stevestoffer

Reaction score

Here is my P pumped Cummins (unsure of year but it has the 160 pump) with a ZF6 bolted to it. I have a Southbend dual disk in between too! I'm also going to use a NP271 T case.

You must be registered for see images

Going in...

Done!

I put my fenders and hood back on but I don't have any pictures of that lol.

stevestoffer

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to pull the dash (UGH) and look at some wiring. I know the fuse box is getting power but I guess it's a ground issue. My wiring harness was a mess anyways and I think I need to fix some things lol. The previous owner chopped it up real good.

stevestoffer

Reaction score
Can some one help me out, I found this connector and I can't figure out where it does. It's on the passenger side right by the door on the HVAC line on the dash harness.

stevestoffer

Reaction score
I got the radio, dash, and my CB to work. I can not get the dome lights or hvac to work. I don't know if the headlights would work but I need a new harness because the PO chopped it up pretty bad. I also don't know if the wipers work because those wires are broken... Lol. I still can't figure out where that connector goes.