Charcoal canister smells like gas fumes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94 Silverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would caue the charcoal canister to smell like gas fumes? Especially on warmer days. I guess the gas tries to evaporate more? Sometimes I can smell it outside the truck and even while driving. Could the evap solenoid be bad and not throw a code?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine did the same thing, I just removed it completely, but I got an 88, and it smells LESS of gas now then when the can was hooked up.

Everyone said it'd be WORSE, but it's not, it's better.

If you have emissions though, might need to keep it.

I would think that's it';s not working, or it's bypassing, but I think I read that it vents out when it hits like 2psi, and warm days may cause that and cause it to vent since it's not running, but yours running and driving shouldn't.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unbolt it lol

I removed the one bolt that's a strap around the can, unhooked the lines to it, they were just push together clamps, slide the clamps off, popped the lines off, slide the can up and out, removed the line going to the tbi and blocked it off with a vac. plug. Unbolted the 2 bolts that hold the round bracket to the rad. support and bent the line from the tank down, actually cut some off, stuck it down under the fender/rad support.

If you have to pass emissions I wouldn't do it. it might make a difference. Also I thought somebody said something about throwing a code? But I never had one, maybe it's newer models because no plugins went to mine anywhere.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my bad didn't pay attention to that one lol

I'm in wv too. LMAO

They only visually inspect for cats and holes in the body here, every once in awhile the check brakes steering components, and lights.