change door jamb crtsy light switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baily708

Reaction score
is it possible to just pull the old switch out and put in a new one,even if it breaks ,looks hard to reach on the drivers side,

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't done the driver's side but the passenger side was fairly easy. As I recall, basically have to break the old one to get it out. You actually install the switch from the outside. When you push it into place, little plastic tabs snap into position and hold it there. I wasn't able to compress those tabs from the inside enough to release the switch so I just snapped them off, then the switch comes out from the outside trailing the wires and connector with it. Don't let the connector slip back into the hole when you unplug it and the rest is easy. Take the old one into the parts shop with you because the plunger on the switch comes in two lengths.

Hightower1

Reaction score
I just changed mine out a couple months ago on the drivers side and it is pretty difficult to do if you have large hands like myself. I ended up having to slowly break the outer ring off the old one and coaxed it out from the outside with a little flat head screwdriver and knife (it was not easy) pressing on the tabs. To make things worse the wire harness was not long enough to come out the hole so I had to force my hand up in the tight spot under the dash to help get the switch unplugged.

After that while keeping my hand shoved up in that spot still holding the plug/connector I put the new switch partially into the hole (from the outside) for I could see to line up the plug to the switch. After I got it plugged in good I inserted the switch completely into the hole and was done. I did no damage to the truck at all but I did mess my hand up pretty good. lol Now my interior lights operate properly again and turn off when I close the door so it was worth it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and have more wire to play with on your harness or a member here that knows a better trick can give you a better angle. I know I use to make wire harnesses for different vehicles in one of my old jobs and they were all made on a big board with pegs and all had the same tolerances and placement of everything. So the chance of having enough to pull out the hole may be slim. If you have a mechanically inclined person around with small hands it would be cake work.