carb swap throttle cable issues....help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAPID TRANSIT

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. Newb here. Just picked up an 88 C1500 that has had a carb swap done before I bought the truck.

The gas pedal is very stiff, and has been since I bought it. I checked at the carb itself.The throttle works smooth and there is a standard return spring that is nowhere near stiff. I checked at the pedal with the cable disconnected from the pedal, works fine as well. I disconnected the throttle cable from the carb and pedal. The cable did not slide smoothly.

So I went ahead and replaced the cable. The new cable out of the truck of course slides smoothly. When attached to the carb the pedal is very tight. The issue appears to be the angle of the cable between the firewall and the carb. It has to be routed like an S shape to get it from the firewall to the carb. When in position it will not allow the cable to slide smoothly.

The existing cable looked stock, though a little on the long side. I bought an aftermarket Mr Gasket cable and matching throttle cable/kickdown cable bracket, and still have the same problem.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, have you used a different cable? Maybe one with an angle molded into it?

What I am getting at, is there a different throttle cable used for a Holley based carb truck as opposed to TBI?

I have looked everywhere for a good photo/part number of a stock throttle cable and can't find one. I can only get a view of what the ends look like.

A part number, or any information at this point would help. If anyone has been through this please contact me here, or via text/cell. My number is 843-591-2670. I will be glad to pay you for your information, and taking the time to contact me.

Just an FYI, the engine is a bone stock, brand new Goodwrench crate engine. Center bolt valve covers with a Weiand Speed Warrior manifold and a Holley carb. Nothing special going on whatsoever.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete