Capping off A/C lines and electrical connectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I just finished pulling the entire A/C system from my truck and installed a bypass pulley. I'm leaving the evaporator core in so I have the two connector lines still just barely sticking out of the firewall (from the bottom line and the accumulator up top). Does anyone make caps that fit these connectors to keep gunk out of the evap core?

Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the left over electrical plugs? I assume just wrap them up tight in electrical tape and zip tie them out of the way. I removed my air conditioning because it hasn't worked in years, and my standard cab cools off just fine with open windows. I also pulled the condenser when I started restoring the truck last summer. It's a 1998 K1500 with the 5.0L Vortec. Thanks for any input!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all seem strange and unusual to me. Here in the South a non-working AC is a problem to be solved. Good luck finding a reliable way to cap off those lines. A piece of crimped hose and a hose clamp might work.

GMTNZ

Reaction score
I removed mine because it didn't work and the pulley made a funny noise.
Pretty cold most of the time where I am so didn't need it! I just plugged the fire wall out lets with plastic caps from a hardware store, more for ascetics than anything.
Fitted the bypass pulley as you did so nice quiet engine bay! It's nice not having the A/C core in front of the radiator, the engine stays cool no matter what. I just wrapped the plug ends with electrical tape and cable tied out of the way.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I figured there wasn't an official solution to capping everything off. Looks like I'll seal up everything as best I can and tuck stuff out of the way.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to be undertaking this soon on my 88. The R12 is long gone and the compressor howls like a banshee. For now I am using the Dorman delete pulley and will be completely pulling the lines and condenser and putting a cap on the accumulator. I’ll be storing the lines in a plastic tote. I am certain the compressor, condenser, evaporator core, and accumulator will need to be replaced when I restore the system. The lines will probably need it to, but keeping them will help if I need to have new ones made.

I suspect you can buy an inverted flare plug to fit most of the lines. The lines coming off the compressor will be the biggest challenge since they use a single bolt to secure them. Personally I would just pull them and store them in a clean container.

I live in central Oregon, temps here get warm in the summer and 95-100 isn’t unheard of. It’s a dry heat though ;) Fortunately the family wagon is a newer 4Runner with ice cold AC.

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I did to both my trucks after they wouldnt freeze me out on a hot day is replace compressor and condenser, one bad line and the orafice. With the humidity in the midwest a non air vehicle is a non starter for me. Always comfy when i am cruisin.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured I'll sweat a little in the summer, northwest Ohio gets humid and upper 90s in the summer, but I figured the advantages of cleaner engine bay, less weight, and a little more power and mpg would be worth it. This truck is being built as a sort of "muscle truck but still a stock height 4x4". It's not my DD, thankfully my Accord has awesome air haha. :) Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the electrical connections, just get some of that split plastic wire cover and put that around them and then zip tie in a couple of places to keep them out of the way. My truck 88 has a few non used connections in the harness so it is not a big deal just make it neat and off the manifolds.

95moburb

Reaction score
I’m going to be undertaking this soon on my 88. The R12 is long gone and the compressor howls like a banshee. For now I am using the Dorman delete pulley and will be completely pulling the lines and condenser and putting a cap on the accumulator. I’ll be storing the lines in a plastic tote. I am certain the compressor, condenser, evaporator core, and accumulator will need to be replaced when I restore the system. The lines will probably need it to, but keeping them will help if I need to have new ones made.

I suspect you can buy an inverted flare plug to fit most of the lines. The lines coming off the compressor will be the biggest challenge since they use a single bolt to secure them. Personally I would just pull them and store them in a clean container.

I live in central Oregon, temps here get warm in the summer and 95-100 isn’t unheard of. It’s a dry heat though ;) Fortunately the family wagon is a newer 4Runner with ice cold AC.
Is you 88 a 350 or 454 cause I can't find a bypass pulley for my 88 454

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is you 88 a 350 or 454 cause I can't find a bypass pulley for my 88 454

It is a 350. For reference there is not a delete pulley listed as working with the early trucks with the stamped serpentine brackets but the AC compressor is identical and so are the bolt holes. I used Dorman 34152 on my truck, should work for you as the AC compressor is identical.