Can't find the source of this coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a new water pump and clean the gasket surfaces well with a razer blade and scotchbrite pad. There's only a few things that can be leaking, it must be the water pump again.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it possible that some bolts are loose or something?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is it possible that some bolts are loose or something?
Couldn't hurt to try to snug them up and see if any are loose.

If it's the water pump it's either coming from the one of the gaskets where it mates to the block or the weep hole.

I know it's a pain in the ass but you need to try and really get up in there or get a mirror from the house and pinpoint this thing.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or another classy diagnostic method is to stick your phone in where you can't see and snap some pics, then look at your photos to see. Works great for getting part number and tag info off the top of newer transfer case or whatever else heh.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will see if any are loose and if not, I guess I will be replacing my first water pump. I looked at the pictures on autozone and it shows this plate on the backside that has 6 bolts in it. I will check those if I can although I am not sure they are accessible.

lvz2ryd

Reaction score
Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Maybe? Corner of the head and intake, sometimes mistaken for wp gasket, real easy to check.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I decided not to screw with it after having wicked food poisoning for the last 4 days and now 0 degree temperature. I definitely want to just go for broke so I don't have to do it again.

I bought a water pump and will try putting it on tonight but I have never done one. I'm doing this on my wife's 99 Yukon.

Can someone explain to me the process and any little tricks I will need to know to make sure I get it right?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 weep holes on the water pump, always seems to be the top hole that is leaking when I cant find where the coolant is coming from. Double up on the clamps if the hoses wont stop leaking, place them 180 degrees from each other, if that doesn't stop the leak then just replace the hose. Water pump is a PITA, just about everything on the front of the motor has to come off or be taken loose just to get at the 4 bolts that hold it on.

Respect for anyone that turns a wrench below 70 degrees.

0 deg? Sorry, I'm adding coolant till spring.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK I decided not to screw with it after having wicked food poisoning for the last 4 days and now 0 degree temperature. I definitely want to just go for broke so I don't have to do it again.

I bought a water pump and will try putting it on tonight but I have never done one. I'm doing this on my wife's 99 Yukon.

Can someone explain to me the process and any little tricks I will need to know to make sure I get it right?
I think your best bet is to grab a Chiltons or similar repair manual from the Auto-Parts store unless you have one already and go to town on it. Also try finding a YouTube video on it.. Tahoe/suburban/ truck will all work and help you a lot.

I think your only hassle will be the fan honestly. And loosen that with the serpentine belt still on if you can.

Are you doing it in a garage or outside?