Can't find the source of this coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK good hah. I've done a blower motor in -30.. Not fun! Let alone a water pump in 0 degrees. Ask question as needed of your doing it tonight. Just clean up the gasket surfaces as good as you can when you get to that point.

And you can use a little bit of silicone if you have any to hold the gaskets in place or put 2 bolts in and hang the gaskets on the bolts so they don't fall.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK cool. How much of my antifreeze is going to come out?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, is the big nut on the back of the fan reverse threaded or normal?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bunch. Ideally you want to pinch of the lower radiator hose but I doubt you have the clamp pliers. I bet you can get creative with a clamp or something to achieve the same thing. But your probably going to need 2 gallons of antifreeze to be safe to refill it. Mix one 50/50 or whatever for your temp on the area and same with the other jug.. You'll have some left over no doubt.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK yours is the big nut on the fan.. Is this a 5.3 or 5.7?

It should be as your looking at it lefty loosy

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
2 weep holes on the water pump, always seems to be the top hole that is leaking when I cant find where the coolant is coming from. Double up on the clamps if the hoses wont stop leaking, place them 180 degrees from each other, if that doesn't stop the leak then just replace the hose.

In my opinion, if they're leaking just replace them, don't mess with double clamps. Nothing should be needed but OEM spring clamps.

Respect for anyone that turns a wrench below 70 degrees.

HAHA, That's not cold!

0 deg? Sorry, I'm adding coolant till spring.

I'm with you there.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got it done and so far no coolant loss but I only ran it about 20 minutes. I could see that one of the bolts had a lot of corrosion so I'm guess that there was an issue with the gasket there and coolant was seeping out and around the bolt before dripping down.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got it done and so far no coolant loss but I only ran it about 20 minutes. I could see that one of the bolts had a lot of corrosion so I'm guess that there was an issue with the gasket there and coolant was seeping out and around the bolt before dripping down.
Awesome, your the water pump pro now! Hopefully it's fixed for good and no more leaks.