Can I remove this without any ill effects?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that would work but that let's the tank vent, might build up pressure. If nothing else run some rubber line on it under the bed away from exhaust and put on a breather cap and let it breath, then cap off the tbi up front. if it's been that way and it's not been putting gas smell.fumes in the cab then maybe not worry about it at all then. or look into a vented cap then plug it off.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah your right i probably don't want to have it completely blocked off since it is a vent. Do parts store sell breather caps?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep they sure do. I never bought one but I heard other ppl bought em from there, just a breather cap to fit in a 3/8 rubber line. Although mine are just open I never put a breather on them, but they are under the front of the vehicle.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hhhmmm why is it when I ask if I can remove the charcoal can on my tbi without any problems all I get is this...

why would you want to remove it? it doesn't hurt anything, take up space, rob power etc.

or it's for polution and protects the air and such?

I mean come on I just want to know if it'll effect my tbi. I'm gonna yank the thing because I smell gas anymore walking around the truck, and it does take up room and it adds some weight lol, which isn't that important but it's one less thing to take up space and hook up.

To the OP if yours was rusted out and had no effects mine shouldn't either once I run the line down to vent from the tank and plug the tbi port.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a post get deleted in this thread and I missed it? Thr reason i ask isecause I'm really confused by your last post.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No nothings been deleted that I know of I just wondered why when I asked on other sites about removing the can everyone is so againist it like it's highly illegal or I'm going to rape the truck or brutally beat it by taking it out. It's like they think I'm crazy for wanting it gone. I kinda jacked the thread, but it's about the same topic. I just wondered after thinking about it if it effected tbi trucks if it was hooked up and working and got removed. I've been smelling gas alot lately on mine.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ok. Yeah I'm not sure why people freak out. I could are if it was a functioning emissions device but mine is shot and honestly isn't worth fixing

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines gone, just removed it today, starts and runs fine, not sure on driving though.

Silentkillzr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines gone runs fine, havent drove it with it off yet, but i capped the vac line, ran a hose down so it still vents, looked ugly down there

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the charcoal canister is there for a reason...... I would replace the line and have it working properly, I wouldnt want pressure to be building up in the tank.