Camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Torres

Reaction score
Are these cam specs good to run without a tune? I have a 92 stock 5.7L Silverado. TBI tuning is nowhere to be found near me in Texas. Is there a way I can get away without learning how to tune? I’m a collegiate athlete and don’t really have time to learn how to tune TBI. I’m also installing a cold air intake and new exhaust system.

Attachments

• IMG_3544.jpeg
    IMG_3544.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 8

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these cam specs good to run without a tune? I have a 92 stock 5.7L Silverado. TBI tuning is nowhere to be found near me in Texas. Is there a way I can get away without learning how to tune? I’m a collegiate athlete and don’t really have time to learn how to tune TBI. I’m also installing a cold air intake and new exhaust system.
The CAI is a waste of money. From what I know about cams and TBI, you would need a tune to take advantage of it. I’m sure there are other areas to address first for additional power (which may or may not require a tune)

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know anyone in Texas to tune it? And what other mods you suggest to make power?
I’m not from Texas. Gear-head EFI is a great source of information.

@PlayingWithTBI is a wealth of knowledge on TBI tuning.

As far as “making more power” an exhaust would be a great start.

What are your goals?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The CAI is a waste of money. From what I know about cams and TBI, you would need a tune to take advantage of it. I’m sure there are other areas to address first for additional power (which may or may not require a tune)

I disagree, given what I gained going from a 350 to a 454 air cleaner assembly and intake duct on a near stock 350. Engine has to breathe to make power.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, given what I gained going from a 350 to a 454 air cleaner assembly and intake duct on a near stock 350. Engine has to breathe to make power.
Well, yes that over a traditional “CAI” that most people buy would be better. I assumed OP meant one like an air-raid or K&N setup.

Appreciate the info! I know what I’ll be looking out for at the yards.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine has to breathe to make power.
^^^This, both intake and exhaust. Anything else upgraded - heads, TB, Intake Manifold, headers, Catalytic Converter, muffler, etc? OP'll want more fuel and maybe play with Spark Advance. One way of increasing fuel is with an 18 LB spring, you might even get away without "tuning" your tables but, won't get the best out of it without. @L31MaxExpress may want to chime in...

OBS Torres

Reaction score
Know anyone in Texas to tune it? And what other mods you suggest to make power?

What are your goals?

What are your goals?
Honestly want it to make a little more power without sacrificing to much MPG because it’s a daily driver as of now, I bought a camshaft not knowing that nobody really tunes TBI anymore, want to go a more cost effective route to make more power to have some fun occasionally.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While a cam has the potential to really pep the engine up, before jumping to that there are other things you want to do before. Your powerplant is only as strong as your weakest link.

First full tuneup. Fuel filter, oil change, plug wires, properly gapped spark plugs, cap, rotor, TB tuneup kit.

Next would be a full exhaust from headers to tail pipe. Mandrel bent everything with straight through muffler.

AC Delco EP381 fuel pump. This came with the Vortec engines. Our TBI's stock pump doesn't have nearly the ceiling (in regards to pressure and flow rate) the Vortec's do. This won't give you power all by itself, but if you will be doing any intake/head/cam work, it will be necessary.