Cammed 1999 Chevy Tahoe idle problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CColton11

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site and I am having an issue with idle on my tahoe after a 270 cam swap. The WHOLE engine is new on this truck. And tuned (for cam specs) by Nelson performance. The truck is running flat tops. Everything else is fairly stock. Well I have the truck in my possession and I've had it for a couple of days and I'm noticing my truck won't stay at a current idle for long. I realize the cam is going to allow for some different idle rpms. But my truck often surges and drops down really low on the rpms and then shoots back up and idles fine for a little bit and then over and over. Also when I go to put it in gear the truck nearly dies. I'm not professional and don't claim to be, I'm just in disparate need of some help to get this idle issue all fixed. Also not sure if the truck is in a relearn stage. Thank you to anyone for any of their input, it is greatly appreciated!

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the iac valve it has to have a certain range of motion if they tuned the iac valve to where it cant correct for the big surges a cam with high duration makes like it reaches max opening and it's not enough to correct the idle it wont idle proper make sure the is valve is working properly and not stuck with carbon build up

Vortec powered iphone:D