Cab swap for a 2000 gmc, will other years work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue975speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to give up on salvaging the cab that is on my 3/4 ton (though the damage is minor it is structural damage) and am search of one to replace it with. My question is, if I find one of the same year shouldn't I be able to:

unhook all electrical and mechanical connections to the old cab
pick the old cab up with a lift, tractor, etc.
roll the frame and drivetrain out from under it
and finally place the new cab on to the frame and bolt and plug every thing back up?

Now, such that 2000 was one of the final years of the GMT-400 truck platform, cabs are few and far between. Would I be able to make say a 1998 or a 1997 cab work? I had planed on using my original computer and such but what kind of issues would I encounter on an off year cab?

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S We are talking about an extended cab.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 up cab will work it will have the same dash and obd2 wiring and same ac setup in my area if you buy a cab from a salvage yard you have to use your vin tag they cant sell it with the title by law in mass.i dont know the laws in your area on that