Burnt Starter Wire Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all im trying to unhack my truck. Long story short, it was the whole family's truck so everyone hacked on it when it tore up while in their use I'm working on the starter wires as they were melted & just put back together in a hurry with what he had.

So here's my situation, I crawl underneath the truck to look at the starter & low & behold there's a wire not even hooked up, just has copper hanging. I undo the starter & pull the cables too. 3 wires in total have my curiosity. 1.One black & red wire separates off the hot battery cable to the junction box.
2. The wire that got melted was the pink wire, I have fixed the hack job of fix with a purple wire off a junk harness but where does it go? To S?
3. The exposed wire that caught my attention under the truck was a green wire that stays together side by side with the pink wire till they lead into the bigger harness behind the distributor. What does it do?
1st pic is the "fix" with 4 different small wires twisted together to be long enough.
2nd pic is the pink & green wires.
3rd is where they lead into the bigger harness.
You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi and :welcome:. When you post a question it's helpful to include year, model, and engine.

Usually there are 3 wires that go down near the starter, the big red one goes to the main lug on it, the dark blue one goes to the knock sensor in the block just above the starter, and the pink (I think) goes to the "S" terminal. Once you get it figured out, it's a good idea to use crimp and waterproof heat shrink connectors so they don't get too corroded again.

Reaction score
Thaaaaaank you! It just threw me off since they run together so far! I'm sorry, it's a 1989 silverado 5.7l tbi truck. This is the hackjob I'm fixing & got confused when there was a green/blue wire down there exposed.