Budget Stoker using a 400 Crank Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
So...
I want , to well pretty much have to replace the crank shaft bearings on the bottom end. I was going to but a 10/10 crank shaft drop it in with new bearing and call it a day.
But I was wondering If I could use a 400 crank shaft to stroke my motor out and make a 383 . Is it a direct swap ?
I have a 97 Yukon with the L31 vortec motor .

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
when i stroked my old hotrod 15 years ago the only crank you could use was a SB400. just had to turn the journals to the right size... BUT!!!!! you either have to get pistons with offset wristpins or rods that are spific for the 383 stroker. now on the vortec.... i have no damn clue.....

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Hmmmm ,
Well that answers allot of ?s
This sounds like it will be more than Im willing to do at this point.
Thank you. for the quick reply.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
it's really a great mod to do on the ol thres fiveo. but you're basicaly looking at a rebuild.... that's the down side. if/when i do it again, i won't do it as a really hot cam hotrod, i'll do it as a very good torq producer for pulling a trailer.

TwitchZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a link to some video's on a couple engine builders building a 383 stroker out of a 350 vortec. They are very specific but there is like 9 videos in the series. I watched it yesterday for fun though they're really informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXVIH85xw0

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The short answer is no.

The L31 is a 1 piece rear main seal motor, is internally balanced, and has a roller cam and various other improvements over the years.

The 400 SBC is a 2 piece rear main seal motor, with a standard hydraulic flat tappet cam, and is externally balanced.

The crank from a 400 sbc will not go into you L31 block. You cannot move all of your guts over to a 400 SBC block without major work & expense.

Best bet is a 383 stroker kit from the many suppliers that are out there.