Brake scrub only at complete stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
When coming to a complete stop, I seem to have a slight scrubbing sound right before stopping. No sound the whole time braking like worn pads. It sounds like the front brakes. Brake pads were good at the last service a few weeks ago. I can feather the brakes until almost stopped with nothing and then sure enough, scrubbing sound just as I stop. Any thoughts?

1994 ECSB K1500

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inspect brakes. Verify pad/shoe and rotor/drum condition including drum out-of-round, and rotor thickness variation/runout. Caliper mounting--caliper free to float side-to-side? Shoes properly adjusted? Park brake properly adjusted? DUST SHIELDS NOT BENT?

If it's not the brakes...it's something else. Slop in the front wheel bearings/hubs? CV joint(s)?

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Follow up:

Remove and replace both rear brake cylinders and replace brake shoes. Brakes are like new now!

Edit: As I processed this, with only 61K original miles on my '94 K1500 I bet these were the original brake components on the rear brakes. It was WAY past time for a rear brake service. I've only had the truck just over two years and I'm not sure if the one PO had anything in the rear brakes replaced. He did engine services at regular intervals, though.

Last edited: