Brake light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbenson1

Reaction score
I could get another new brake switch, however I’m certain that will not resolve my issue. All of this started to happen after I replaced my hydro boost unit. So it probably has to do with the hydro boost part that I installed, or an issue with me installing the brake switch. It seems like there is only one way to install the switch, so I’m not sure what to check next. When the switch doesn’t work, it won’t allow me to shift out of park, so I have to jiggle it around until it’ll let me.

Mbenson1

Reaction score
Replaced with a new brake switch, still no brake lights and i am not able to shift out of park when the switch is clipped into the push rods. Any ideas??

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try holding brake in and moving wire a bit?

Do you have power to one side of the brake switch?
X3 need to verify consistent power at the switch.
There’s lots of sharp parts of the dash mounts under there, it’s entirely possible a wire got nicked or pulled while wrestling with everything during your hydroboost installation.

Mbenson1

Reaction score
I verified the wiring and connections are good. I can manually activate the switch by pushing it against the brake pedal pin. It almost seems as if the brake pedal is not able to press on the switch hard enough to activate it.

Junior760

Reaction score
Got a 98 GMC Sierra. I changed the brake booster. Installed a new brake light switch and rear lights won’t come on when I press the brake. I can manually move the light switch forward and the brake lights work. Any ideas in how I can fix this. Thanks

Junior760

Reaction score
i figured it out. After installing a new brake booster lights didn’t work. Went to the junk yard got a booster installed it and lights work now. It think it has to do something with push rod either the length or the size of it. Maybe the new ones are different but this worked for me. Hope this helps. Thanks

SierraGT94

Reaction score
i figured it out. After installing a new brake booster lights didn’t work. Went to the junk yard got a booster installed it and lights work now. It think it has to do something with push rod either the length or the size of it. Maybe the new ones are different but this worked for me. Hope this helps. Thanks
I don't have to change my booster, but I am still have the same issue as you did. I can hold the "new" switch forward and the lights work. But in normal operation the switch will not engage. The push rod is not bent either. I'm struggling with this simple issue lol can anyone help me out with this one??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf