Brake light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Long while ago I posted about my brake lights stuck on, flashers and turn signals not working at all.

I got pointed in the direction of the turn signal switch.

Finally got around to replacing it.

My turn signals now work, flashers work with the truck off but no on. But the damn brake lights are still stuck on.

Help me!!

Truck is a 1996 c1500 RWD with a swapped in 5.7 vortec.

I’ve replaced the turn signal switch, the brake light switch(attached to the pedal) the fuse under the dash, the relay under the hood, the brake light bulbs(I have LED’s in currently,but also have standard bulbs on hand). None of the wires look chaffed, melted or feel hot. I’ve cleaned the ground by the rear bumper(unsure if there are others I need to check).

I’m out of ideas. I hate electrical work, understand very little of it. So talk to me like I’m 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just in case the LED's are part of the problem I suggest putting stock bulbs back in until you sort out the issue. Usually LED's aren't to blame for weird crap like this but ya never know. (FWIW I've run a LOT of automotive LED's including in GMT400's which require a special LED for the middle socket brake/turn function, these are called SRCK LED's.)

If you have a trailer harness attached, disconnect it during troubleshooting. Lots of rear lamp issues associated with these, regardless of how they're installed.

Richard