Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Raw gasoline or just a stinky exhaust? Lean stinks like a sumbitch.

Kind of a mixture really, raw gas most of the time, but on occasion it almost smells like rotten eggs depending on how long I've been driving, but mainly raw gas. Maybe I've got a sensor going south?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Rotten eggs is not unusual if you have your foot in it. I had a sort of rotten egg smell though when the EGR was stuck open.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Rotten eggs is not unusual if you have your foot in it. I had a sort of rotten egg smell though when the EGR was stuck open.

I wonder if this rich/stinky exhaust has anything to do with the minor misfire/hiccup when I punch it...
I thought the egg smell was from my catalytic converters at first; I know my mother's 09 1500 Suburban reeks of that whenever it comes off a hard run, and that's what was causing the smell.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably check plugs and see what they look like. Fuel trims might at least point one direction or the other - barring them being an issue of course.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I wonder if this rich/stinky exhaust has anything to do with the minor misfire/hiccup when I punch it...
I thought the egg smell was from my catalytic converters at first; I know my mother's 09 1500 Suburban reeks of that whenever it comes off a hard run, and that's what was causing the smell.
My dads 2500hd smells like that when it doesnt run in a couple weeks. Its always been that way, and never seems to have an issue.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

My Z06 used to stink after getting on it. Still does, just not a cat stink. Most cars will reek after you hammer it as the cats can only clean a mixture that is very slightly north or south of stoich. Parked at stoich is no good, that's why O2s switch back and forth. 3 way cats eliminated the need for an air pump that always runs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, that's the 4 wire 98-00 connectors. Also the 80 in 4L80 stands for 8000 GVW, not 800 ft/lb like their misinformed site claims.