bouncy rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1994 z71 used to tow a 5th wheel but I added new Monroe monotube shocks but i notice the rear will bounce on uneven pavement, would the springs be needing replacement? The truck does sit level.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, need a bit more more info than that before I drop an idea on ya.

Are you towing said 5th wheel when the bounce happens. Porpoising is what it's often referred to when towing.

Does it feel like the rear end is juttering over bumps or it the bouncing more of a continued up and down after hitting a bump?

Juttering can be shocks, overly stiff springing, binding spring pack or shackles.

The continued up and down is shocks that have lost their rebound damping and need replacement. Usually, the seal has failed and the oil leaks out in this type of failure. The shock will look wet or dirty wet if it's leaked....

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck used to tow a 5th wheel before I bought it, and the shocks are not worn out (10,000kms)and they are correct for this truck. The truck is a shortbox stepside z71 on propane.Would the propane tank cause this being at the front of the bed and full? The feeling is more juttering but not out of control.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The truck used to tow a 5th wheel before I bought it, and the shocks are not worn out (10,000kms)and they are correct for this truck. The truck is a shortbox stepside z71 on propane.Would the propane tank cause this being at the front of the bed and full? The feeling is more juttering but not out of control.

Nope.

Overly stiff suspension. Check for binding a the shackles or wound up bushings....

It's a 1500, right?

Does it have overloader springs or helper bags on the back?

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no overloads, it has 4 leaves and i just went out and looked and the passenger side topspring near the front spring mount is not as curved as the driver side.

Attachments

• IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Looks like your springs are quite worn out if your bump stops are that close on a Z71!

Meh, never trust pictures.

They're not accurate as you can make things look very different with just changing the camera angle.

Measurements are the only real way to tell.....

OnionLoaf

Reaction score
I agree with great white, those springs look a little worn, but compare both sides with measurements.