Black Bear Tune or Handheld Programmer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I am really wanting to get some more power to the truck and increase the fuel mileage a bit. I have been reading up on Black Bear tunes, but don't quite understand how it is installed or how you get the tune. JParker2012 got one for his 98 and said he used a cable connected to his laptop to find what needed tuned on his truck, he then said that it doesn't work that way for the 1997 and older trucks. I a wanting to get one for mine, but what are the other ways of getting it? Any help is appreciated. My other choice would be a programmer of some sort, though I would like the Black Bear since it is more custom to your truck.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Even though 98 and up vortecs were the only eligible motors for the cable tune id say just email the guys at black bear and tell them what your wanting/needing for your tune and they will hook you up with a sweet tuned PCM. Plus you get free retunes for life after the original purchase if I remember correctly! ;)

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
x2, They're really good. the 1996 and 1997 truck has a less involved obd2 system, missing some features of the 1998, i'm not too knowledgeable on them but I know that a BB tune will work on your truck and its a real good option. Justin will tune it to match exactly what you want and any addons that you have.
and free retunes, you keep your old PCM if you like. the only catch is the security and crank sensor relearn if you use on of his PCMs.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Yeah the 411 is a good swap too, opens up many more possibilities for tuning.. I wish I would have gotten the swap when I did my tune.

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also pm lextech and he might be able to help you out too.