Bent Frame, Original Leaf Springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 Questions that maybe someone can help with . . . social distancing has given me more time to tackle transmission and rust issues . . .

1) I assume the spare tire holder is supposed to be level and square with the two sides of the frame? I think I might have some frame damage. It appears that the left rear leaf spring mount was replaced - but given this trucks life and age, it is as likely that is from rust, and not an accident. Note, the truck is supported by the rearend - but I don't think that should change anything - the frame should still be square. Measurements taken from the same place on opposite sides seem to be a 1/2 inch or so off. Let me know - I'm thinking I need to get it to a frame shop to have it measured / straightened.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j8489f9JbsLZFoxZ8

2) Anyway to tell if the vehicle has the original leaf springs? If they are, I assume 22 years and slightly over 100k miles the truck would be much better with new ones? Turning into the might-as-wells.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can’t speak on the frame on if it’s bent or not. But I will say i found out when I needed new leafs when a barely could haul things that other people could no problem. Also I started chunking rear u joints left and right because my pinion angle was bad under acceleration and towing things. The leafs springs were allowing it to pivot up to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
I can’t speak on the frame on if it’s bent or not. But I will say i found out when I needed new leafs when a barely could haul things that other people could no problem. Also I started chunking rear u joints left and right because my pinion angle was bad under acceleration and towing things. The leafs springs were allowing it to pivot up to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a lot of flex on the frame. I I wouldn't worry too much about it being off. I recently picked up a frame from the Boneyard, got it home cleaned it up. I took some measurements and realized it was a little bit off. But then I moved the jack stands around only to find it was now off on the other side. I even replaced spare tire carrier assembly. I was all stressed out over nothing

You must be registered for see images attach

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any after markets products out there to strengthen frame? Like an additional cross member or bracket thats either bolt on or welded? Heard that the frames can crack some where before the back tire maybe by the gas fill up area.

Wish i had cleaned and repainted the frame when they repainted my truck and had the bed off. Oh well missed opportunity.