BBP tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I've decided on the black bear tune. What should I have tuned for a daily driver looking for more torque and mpg? I also want yo remove cats and anything uneccessary to performance. What will have to be done after I get the computer back?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TBH I'd leave cats and mufflers alone. That's just me though. I like my sensors and everything. If you just have to remove them for some reason I'd make sure to make a note to BBP to remove your downstream O2 sensors from the tune, that way you don't get a CEL from them freaking out over the lack of cats. I had them tune my V6 for 91 octane fuel as it's the only ethanol free variety I have readily available and I prefer non-ethanol fuels. I removed 100% of the factory torque management, and firmed up the shifts as much as they would allow. Results are awesome. Honestly just email them and ask what you need to do to get the results you're looking for. Justin is a really nice and helpful guy and he'll be glad to talk to you before you pull the trigger. If you have any questions about performance on these trucks he can certainly answer them. I'd do that before you go ripping out cats and stuff.

EDIT - After the tune you'll need to have a shop with a very nice scan tool (preferably a GM Tech-2) do a CASE relearn on the new PCM. That is, IF you buy a second PCM from them for the tune. I did this as I always wanted to have my factory one around as a spare. If you send your PCM in for tuning you won't need to do the CASE relearn, just plug it back in. However this will likely mean that your truck will be inoperable for about two and a half weeks while they tune your PCM.

Last edited:

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you have for a truck? I talked with them a while back and they offered a cable tune, if memory serves. You pay a deposit, they send a box that plugs into the OBDII port and records data for a while, then you send it back. They then send something back with the tune, that I think plugs into the OBDII port again.

I could be wrong, but that comes to mind for a '99 Yukon 5.7L.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Datalogging cable tune is not available for our trucks, unfortunately. I asked about this option when I did mine, only available for GMT800s or newer. (Or if you've swapped to the 411 PCM I believe they can do it.)

EDIT - Peyton4x4, thought your user name looked familiar from some recent posts so I reviewed a little of your post history and saw that you're dealing with some ticks and engine issues, you're going to want to fix anything that's wrong with your engine/drivetrain before you even think about getting a tune IMHO. If you don't, you're probably going to be unhappy with the results and you may run into issues with the CASE relearn, etc.

Last edited:

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Datalogging cable tune is not available for our trucks, unfortunately. I asked about this option when I did mine, only available for GMT800s or newer. (Or if you've swapped to the 411 PCM I believe they can do it.)

EDIT - Peyton4x4, thought your user name looked familiar from some recent posts so I reviewed a little of your post history and saw that you're dealing with some ticks and engine issues, you're going to want to fix anything that's wrong with your engine/drivetrain before you even think about getting a tune IMHO. If you don't, you're probably going to be unhappy with the results and you may run into issues with the CASE relearn, etc.

You're right. Then send a cable to collect data with using a Windows laptop. They then swap your ECU with a tuned one.

Sorry for the confusion.