Bad fuel pump relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott

Reaction score
I have a 1994 GMC Suburban, K2500 4x4. The fuel pump doesn't start when the ignition is turned on. I replaced the relay, but am not getting voltage to the 20A fuse. The relay base has voltage to the large socket all the time and gets a signal to one of the small sockets when the ignition is turned on. Should the relay audibly click when the ignition is turned on? If it isn't mounted to the firewall will it still work? If the relay is working, wouldn't I get voltage to the fuse? Is there a way to bypass the relay to verify the pump is working?

94 Silverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your fuel pump ground for corrosion. I think it's coming off the pump somewhere but I could be wrong.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
to check if the pump itself died or if its the ground, do the following.

1. make a jumper from the battery to the fuse holder of the firewall (Very far left fuse under the plastic cover on the fire wall)
2. Pull out the fuse
3. touch the wirse to each side of the fuse holder, one side should bypass the relay and kick on the pump

lowandloud91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may also try your oil switch behind the distributor. One time mine had the exact same problem, and turned out it was my oil switch. Didn't know it had anything to do with it until a friend of mine mentioned it to me.