Anyone paint a toolbox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Looking high and low for a tool box to put in the back of the truck. Dont want plastic but I do want black. I can buy a new box for $250-300 but I'm finding used boxes (tractor supply & Kobalt brans) on Craigslist in silver and wondered how paint would hold up. I imagine a lot of prep would have to go into it? Can you paint these boxes and have it come out well and last? Let me know what you think and what you have seen.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
clean it good and use some self etching primer then paint it black i heard the self etching primer will stick to aluminum or you could plasti dip it

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Im not going to be in/out of the box a ton but I dont want to have to worry about chipping everytime I open/close the lid. Should stay pretty well protected up behind the cab I would think, were not talking wheel wells here :shrug:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
use busch aluma wash it is an acid wash for aluminum it will take the finish back to raw (non polished) spray it on let it set and rinse with a hose wipe it down with prep solvent use the self etching primer and then paint it black

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
We Plasti Dipped my friends toolbox last December along with just about his whole truck and it is still holding up pretty good! We just put a ton of coats and he barely uses it. I had mine painted black for 50 bucks by guys that paint cars and it is pretty good but I use my truck for just about everything and when stuff hits it it has caused a few little chips but nothing major! I considered the guy that powdercoated my wheels but he wanted like $200 so I just went with the regular paint haha

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
my friend bought a tool box off of a friend with a ton of junk in it for 50 bucks, i found two cans of self etching primer and two cans of blank and one of white. cleaned the whole box down inside and out with some zepps degreaser then dish soap then wiped down with mineral spirits. drained all the contents out of the spray pain cans as they were old and had no compression. put it in my spray gun and used all the paint. weve had trees go against it mud dry on it, tools throwin in it etc and theres no a scratch on it yet nor a chip or flake.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
plasti dipped mine last summer and still looks the same. lots of coats, 5 cans I think. hasn't scratched in the brush or chipped.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I'll try the acid bath and go from there. Thanks guys