Any of you 700r4 guys shifting 3-4 at WOT?? (street/strip guys, i need you)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Since i have been working on my Camaro, i have realized that i am speed limited to about 120 because my trans won't shift 3rd to 4th gear under heavy throttle. Anything over 1/2 throttle or so will force a downshift, even if it sends the RPMs into the 6000 range. I have learned that this is not the case with a 700r4 out of a corvette or police model camaro. The 3-4 shift valve is different. Im not too fond of other forums im a member of, and since some of you run 700r4 transmissions, i reckon i'll ask yall. Anyone have any experience running the trans-go 3-4 shift valve? It should allow the trans to shift 3-4 at WOT and keep pulling. I would really like to run into someone else thats running one before i buy one. They are not expensive, but i don't really want to pull my pan for something i won't like. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated. This is my first venture into a street/strip style vehicle.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
We had our rebuilt stock but it still shifts to 4th at WOT about 1/8 mile. That's with 4:10s and 275 radials

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

98_k1500

Reaction score
Some of the 700r4s would do this stock. Seems that 86-88 were the transition years on that and mind being a 87 does not shift to 4th at more than 2/3 throttle or so.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Some of the 700r4s would do this stock. Seems that 86-88 were the transition years on that and mind being a 87 does not shift to 4th at more than 2/3 throttle or so.

I'd have a mild build done on it. Shift kits for these transmissions aren't the best thing. When I had mine done in my truck I got a z pack in second, third is wide banded and a few other things with the valve body and a billet servo And it'll last a lot longer

98_k1500

Reaction score
This is where i run into issues^^^ Trans has got less than 2000 miles on a performance build on it. Only problem is that I don't have a clue what was done to it. It shifts 1-2 and 2-3 like nobodys business. I hate to pull it down and end up with less of a durable trans than when i started lol.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
This is where i run into issues^^^ Trans has got less than 2000 miles on a performance build on it. Only problem is that I don't have a clue what was done to it. It shifts 1-2 and 2-3 like nobodys business. I hate to pull it down and end up with less of a durable trans than when i started lol.

I'd make an attempt to find out what you have first and go from there

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
THe Transgo HD2 kit allows for full throttle upshifts into 4th. Cop cars are capable of this due to a different TV valve and sleeve. You can get this from Sonnex, I'd also recommend their dual piston 4th servo