Another 4l60e to 4l80e thread 95 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had hoped to find this information for a 95 TBI 2wd. Very easy to find this info on newer trucks with LS or newer style computers. But for the old 95 all I find are dead links. So which year 4l80e can I use and what needs to be done to the wiring and computer in this old of truck? Obviously the cross member and drive shaft need modified. Just wondering about the electrical. I also know some had different trans cooler lines so what is the best option for that as well?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's another recent thread on here about another TBI owner doing the 80 swap. Wiring is just swapping a couple of pins around at the trans, same as any other 80 swap. 95 was a ******* year, but I think that applied to the 60 not the 80. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how the trans tune would work in a TBI truck, the sure thing is to snag a computer from a truck that had an 80. Trans cooler lines changed in 97.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you dont think we have to do the pins at the computer plug like the newer ones? Just the Trans end?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The crossmember can be moved back on 95', there is a set of holes already there, at least on 4WD. Then you just need a shorter driveshaft. The cooler lines are best to get from a junkyard as the replacements require new fittings and one of the lines has to be made from scratch. You will need to rewire the connector at the trans and move a few pins around on the computer, then either burn or acquire a factory chip for the computer to properly run it.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The crossmember can be moved back on 95', there is a set of holes already there, at least on 4WD. Then you just need a shorter driveshaft. The cooler lines are best to get from a junkyard as the replacements require new fittings and one of the lines has to be made from scratch. You will need to rewire the connector at the trans and move a few pins around on the computer, then either burn or acquire a factory chip for the computer to properly run it.

Where do I find the info about which pins on the computer?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you dont think we have to do the pins at the computer plug like the newer ones? Just the Trans end?

Sounds like I'm full of **** there. Unless you're referring to the trans input RPM wires that need to be added to all 80 swaps.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where do I find the info about which pins on the computer?

The information about which wires need to be swapped around at the transmission connector can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

There are a few companies who make adapter harnesses for that connection so you don't have to modify any factory wiring there if you don't want to. I used one from Nelson Performance on my '97.

The two pins/wires for the input speed sensor that you'll have to add at the PCM can be found in a factory service manual for your '95 truck, which can be downloaded from here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Nelson Performance also makes a pinned pigtail for the 80E input speed sensor so all you have to do is slide the pins into the appropriate slots in your PCM connector if you don't feel like wiring that up yourself.

I had some difficulty finding the correct factory cooler lines for my swap so I just converted everything to -6AN braided stainless flexible lines. Expensive, but easy.

As far as the PCM controlling the 80E, you'll need to find someone to tune yours or swap to a computer from an 80E truck that has the same gearing and engine as your truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This in on a 95.

Yes, I know. All the info I posted still applies. The only thing that will be physically different from my '97 swap is the specific location of the two pins/wires for the input speed sensor. Like I said, you can find that in the factory service manual.

EDIT - Your cooler line locations may be different as well depending on what year your donor transmission is from. I used a '97.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To clarify, adding the two wires for the ISS is the only wiring modification you need to do at the PCM. The rest is just removing one wire and moving another in the transmission connector. Don't pay any attention to the LS pinout info on that Sloppy Mechanics link, the important part is the trans connector diagram and the first three lines of text describing the wiring mods.