AIR pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it ok to run without the AIR pump, mine is squealing bad and I thought about just changing the belt.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea it will run fine. You need it for smog testing but it wont make the truck run bad.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have to pass emissions might hurt, if not then ditch it, I did. Are you sure it's the air pump and not a tensioner or alt. or somethng maybe water pump? I unbolted mine, plugged the fitting going into the manifolds,(later put on headers w/o air fitting) then bought a shorter belt from autozone or advance for a truck w/o air. I even cut the bracket off and then just recently removed the a/c and got an even shorter belt.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had water pump replaced beginning of month,we dont have emissions testing in BC, good to know I dont need it.
Do I just un plug the harness ?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did, I just unplugged the wire going to it, but I completely removed mine from the motor and fittings, everything. You could probably leave it plugged in but having no belt on it, it would not turn. So I don't think it would hurt either way, unplugged or plugged.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes definitly, if you don't have to pass emissions testing, get rid of it. You should notice just a little more power too since your engine won't have to turn it anymore.