Air induction; hood scoops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While the stock air box has the sex appeal of Bertha the bearded woman the stock air box works fine for airflow. Besides even if you put a open element filter under the hood you’re sucking hot air anyway.
You could try one of those dual filter Y intakes and make your own piping for cold air or of it’s a TBI you can probably adapt a dual snorkel for a 80s z28 Camaro.

Personally I would
Put a electric fan set up, a shift kit, a large cooler and guage and a corvette servo in the transmission. A cooler out of a Ford 6.0 will be overkill but they are freaking huge. They are the size of a small radiator. And they hold almost a quart of fluid.2000 pounds isn’t much, but you could regear if you got say 3:08 or 3:55 and have larger tires.

For less underhood heat I would put a louvered piece from a Crown Vic P71 or get your hood louvered or add some hood vents. I’ve never had underhood heat issues with my GMC. My 454 Chevy truck yes that thing.....you could cook on it.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While the stock air box has the sex appeal of Bertha the bearded woman the stock air box works fine for airflow. Besides even if you put a open element filter under the hood you’re sucking hot air anyway.
You could try one of those dual filter Y intakes and make your own piping for cold air or of it’s a TBI you can probably adapt a dual snorkel for a 80s z28 Camaro.

Personally I would
Put a electric fan set up, a shift kit, a large cooler and guage and a corvette servo in the transmission. A cooler out of a Ford 6.0 will be overkill but they are freaking huge. They are the size of a small radiator. And they hold almost a quart of fluid.2000 pounds isn’t much, but you could regear if you got say 3:08 or 3:55 and have larger tires.

For less underhood heat I would put a louvered piece from a Crown Vic P71 or get your hood louvered or add some hood vents. I’ve never had underhood heat issues with my GMC. My 454 Chevy truck yes that thing.....you could cook on it.

YES! I am serisouly looking at louvers... I would have thought with my body lift that would help some but only maybe at highway speeds... the motor just holds in the heat that I need to look at a functional cowl hood or go cheep and install louvers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES! I am serisouly looking at louvers... I would have thought with my body lift that would help some but only maybe at highway speeds... the motor just holds in the heat that I need to look at a functional cowl hood or go cheep and install louvers.
Or recognize that if all the factory ducts and seals are in place, it's almost certainly not an actual problem, don't "fix" what isn't broken.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say “holds heat” what does that mean? Are your temps going up on the freeway like overheating? If that’s the issue you got a cooling problem. Could be anything from a clutch fan to a clogged radiator or bad pump or thermostat.

Having a hood louvered or vented won’t help in that condition. For the most part the underneath open space inbetween the wheel wells abd motor is enough to vent hot air. As you drive you’re grille allows air in and that pushes the hot air out 7bder the vehivke. It doesn’t just stay there. My old GMC would go to the river in Arizona through the So Cal desert towing about 1800 pounds of jet skis and camping crap in 112* heat with AC cranking and gauges won’t move off 210*.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or recognize that if all the factory ducts and seals are in place, it's almost certainly not an actual problem, don't "fix" what isn't broken.

On top of that - air flow (and pressures) are very hard to predict and without a pressure differential (in the right direction!) no flow is possible. Get it wrong and the air flow will be in the opposite of intended direction.

Also, looking at the area of flow offered by a louvre and comparing it to the surface area of a radiator - how effective is it going to be even assuming flow through it in the right direction?

All you can really be sure of is a high pressure zone at the front of the vehicle (ahead of the rads) and at the base of the windscreen (where HVAC draws air from). Anywhere else it could be anything - probably turbulent. Unless you have a wind tunnel - or are a pig......

Rick Reid

Reaction score
I'm normally not a big fan of extras on these trucks, but you've got it just right on yours. The T/A fender scoops need to be in a certain position to look proportioned. Good looking sport side, what color will you paint it?
Laguna Blue or Elkhart Lake Blue, both are lighter than what was on it

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach